1910 – 1919:
- In 1910, Armco’s first office is opened in Middletown, Ohio, USA.
- In 1912, installation of the first product ( culvert) in Rio de Janeiro.
- In 1914, Armco’s first factory is opened in Brazil.
1920 – 1929:
- Development of hot rolling process – USA.
- In 1924, the Brazilian government recognizes Armco’s first subsidiary in Brazil.
- In 1925, Armco installs the first culvert plant in São Paulo.
1930 – 1939:
- Armco starts to commercialize steel plates and profiles, electrodes and electric welding equipment.
- Main plant in Middletown, where originated Armco in Brazil (photo).
- Continuous Rolling Process – USA (photo).
1940 – 1949:
- Armco provides products for the construction of several roads, such as Via Anchieta.
- In 1945, it establishes its third plant in Brazil, in Porto Alegre city.
- In 1947, it opened a factory of welded steel pipes for water supply in Honório Gurgel – RJ.
1950 – 1959:
- In 1950, Armco installs another plant and expands its Honório Gurgel facilities.
- Armco stopped the commercialization of imported products and focus on the production of such products.
1960 – 1969:
- Armco entered the sector that would turn it the market leader: steel rolling.
- In 1969, it acquires 60% of Cogeral (Cia. Geral de Laminação) shares, in São Paulo.
- Armco unit in Vila Prudente in 1969 (photo)
1970 – 1979:
- In 1970, Armco acquires the remaining Cogeral shares.
- In 1978, it opens a welding product plant in Sumaré city, São Paulo.
- In 1979, it installs in Vila Prudente rolling equipment from Icopasa increasing the production by 1,500 ton/month (“Project 1500”).
1980 – 1989:
- In 1981, Armco installs Vila Nova unit in São Paulo.
- In 1982, it celebrates its 70 years in Brazil.
- In 1984, it acquires Aços do Brasil rolling operation and becomes the only producer in the Americas of copper coated strips for “Bundy” pipes.
- In 1985, it incorporates Equipetrol, opens the Service Center in São Paulo, and starts LM-04 operations – the largest factory of electrolytic zinc coating in Latin America and the first in Brazil.
- In 1986, it acquires a 78,000-m² factory owned by GE.
1990 – 1999:
- In 1993, Armco becomes a 100% Brazilian company, but a technical assistance agreement with Armco Research in USA ensures technology transfer.
- In 1994, it opens the Effluent Treatment Station (ETS) in Vila Prudente.
- In 1995, it is awarded ISO 9002 certification, launches a new organic coating system for electrogalvanized products and incorporates all Metal Leve rolling activities.
- It invests in several types of equipment: Tandem roller and longitudinal-transversal cut and “dancing” shears.
- In 1996, it creates the “Plantar Project” in Vila Prudente and opens Tecsteel in São Bernardo do Campo.
- In 1997, it opens Aços da Amazônia in Manaus and enters into a joint-venture with the American company ITW (Illinois Tool Works) to create Signode Brasileira S.A.
- In 1998, it launches Projeto Têmpera (“Annealing Project”).
armco in the 21st century
- 2000 – Implementation of digital customer service system, Armco Online, and the second two-chair “Tandem”.
- 2002 – R$ 3 million are invested in the acquisition of two HPH (High Performance Hydrogen) high-convection furnaces.
- 2003 – Vila Nova business unit is open, which is aimed to supply small quantities in a fast and flexible manner. In May, Armco entered into a cooperation agreement with the German BILSTEIN Group, the major and most diversified re-rolled product manufacturer in Europe and one one of the leaders companies in the world. In October, Armco is awarded ISO/TS 16949 and ISO 9001 certifications by BVQI.
- 2006 – May, Armco obtains the adequacy of the Environmental Management System, version 14001. August, the new plant in Manaus Industrial District I was expanded and opened. In October, Armco obtains the adequacy of the Quality Management System, version ISO TS 16949.
- 2007 – April, Aços da Amazônia is nominated for ISO 14001 certification and is awarded ISO 9001 re-certification.
- 2008 – July, Armco starts the activities of the newest company of the Group, Intacta Sistemas de Embalagem Ltda.
- 2009 – September, Plantar Project is awarded LIF prize as the best project in educational area, by Brazil-France Chamber of Commerce.
- 2010 – Armco is recertified by OHSAS 18001 safety standard.
- 2011 – Merger of Tecsteel and Stripsteel companies.
- 2012 – Armco celebrates its 100 years of history and activities in Brazil.
- Dec/2013 – With an investment of R$ 230 million, Armco do Brasil inaugurates Jacarei Plant, in the city of Jacareí, SP, in an area of 310 thousand square meters of land and 45 thousand square meters of building area. The production capacity of the plant will be 60-80 tons of steel per year.